In California, the right to privacy is a personal and fundamental right protected by Section 1 of Article I of the Constitution of California. All individuals have a right of privacy in information pertaining to them. The Department of Health Care Access and Information (HCAI) is committed to keeping your personal information private and secure as required by state and federal law and state policy. These laws and policies include, but are not limited to, the California Information Practices Act of 1977(Civil Code section 1798 et seq.), the Public Records Act (Government Code section 6250 et seq.), Government Code sections 11015.5 and 11019.9, the State Administrative Manual § 5310.1, the Statewide Information Management Manual 5310-A, Health and Safety Code section 1500 et seq., Welfare and Institutions Code section 10850, and other applicable laws pertaining to information privacy.
The purpose of this policy is to protect individual privacy, and to provide information about privacy protections to individuals from whom or about whom information may be collected or maintained by the HCAI.
HCAI follows these principles in collecting and managing personal information:
- HCAI collects personal information on individuals only as allowed by law to administer programs serving California’s most vulnerable residents. Any subsequent use of the information shall be limited to and consistent with the fulfillment of those purposes; and/or to make disclosures as required or authorized by law.
Personal information, as defined in the Information Practices Act, is information that identifies or describes an individual including, but not limited to, name, Social Security number, physical descriptions, home address, home telephone number, education, financial matters, medical or employment history, email address or Internet Protocol (IP) address.
- HCAI only collects personal information that is necessary and appropriate for the type of services requested. When filling out an online form or survey, HCAI strives to tell people who are asked to provide information about the general uses of the information by HCAI.
- HCAI collects personal information directly from individuals who use one or more of the HCAI websites to obtain services. Collection of this information is required to deliver the specific services but use of these services is voluntary.
- HCAI does not disclose personal information. Personal information may not be disclosed, made available, or otherwise used for a purpose other than those specified, except with the consent of the subject of the personal information, or as authorized by law or regulation.
- HCAI does not distribute or sell any electronically collected personal information. HCAI will not distribute or sell any electronically collected personal information about users to any third party without the user’s written consent.
- HCAI tells people who provide personal information about their right to review that information. Individuals who provide personal information to HCAI have the right to review the information for accuracy and completeness and to request corrections or deletions. For personal information access requests send an email to HCAI’s Privacy Officer at Privacy.Officer@HCAI.ca.gov who will then direct you to your program representative.
- HCAI protects personal information. The Department takes precautions and security measures to protect the personal information collected or maintained by HCAI against loss, unauthorized access, use, modification, or disclosure.
- HCAI collects electronic information from people who visit our Internet website. When an individual browses our Internet website, HCAI automatically collects the domain name or Internet Protocol address that relates to the machine used to access the HCAI website, the type of browser and operating system used, the date and time when the website is visited, web pages displayed, and any forms that are uploaded. We do not collect home, business or email addresses, or account information from persons who simply browse our Internet website. HCAI collects personal information about individuals through our website only if an individual provides such information to the Department voluntarily through forms or surveys. Electronically collected personal information is exempt from requests made under the Public Records Act.
HCAI uses Google Analytics to help understand how visitors interact with the HCAI websites to improve each website. You can read Google’s security and privacy policies for Google Analytics. You can choose not to have your data used by Google Analytics by downloading their opt-out browser add-on. Selecting to opt out will not interfere with your ability to use our website.
Please see the HCAI Privacy Notice of Collection/ Condition of Use for more information related to the collection, use, security, and access of information that may be obtained through use of HCAI’s web portal.
Should you need further information or have questions about the privacy of personally identifiable data maintained by the HCAI, please contact the Privacy Officer at:
The Department of Health Care Access and Information
2020 West El Camino, Suite 800
Sacramento, CA 95833